MBBS, FRCA, FFPMRCA, EDRA, FIPP, CIPS
Consultant- Anaesthetics and Pain management, Kent and Canterbury Hospital
East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, UK
Pain lead-London Society of Regional Anaesthesia (LSORA)
An extensively experienced medical professional with achievements across education, research and clinical practice. Internationally renowned as a thought leader in pain management, anaesthesia and palliative care. An ultrasound guided pain interventional enthusiast adept in performing all types of complex pain procedures. Winner of multiple awards for clinical leadership, presentations, research and academic achievement. A firm advocate of holistic, patient centered integrative health care. Active member of the community, with external interests spanning a range of charitable and value-focused initiatives.
· Faculty and Examiner, World Institute of Pain for Fellow of Interventional Pain Medicine (FIPP)
· Faculty and Examiner, World Institute of Pain for Certified Interventional Pain Sonography (CIPS)
· Faculty and Examiner, European Society of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine for European Diploma of Pain
· Course Director, Pain Lead, Faculty Member and Committee Member, LSORA Interventional Ultrasound in Pain Management Workshop
· Faculty, Pain School International
· Faculty, World Academy of Pain Medicine Ultrasonography
· Faculty, Royal College of Anaesthetists and Faculty of Pain Medicine
· Faculty, London Pain Forum
· Faculty for Ultrasound Guided Regional Blocks and Chronic Pain Blocks, various National and International Courses
· Honorary Senior Lecturer, Canterbury Christ Church University (2018-2021)
· Pain tutor, Local Pain Medicine Educational Supervisor, East Kent Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust
· Module Lead, Pain Management and Regional Anaesthesia / Clinical and Educational Supervisor, Kent and Canterbury Hospital
Teaching and other academic work.
· Delivered more than 250 oral and poster presentations and taught practical skills as workshops internationally and nationally over the last 10 years.
· Authored chapters in 5 textbooks and published several posters and articles.
· 1.Pain management- Ultrasound guided interventions, Neuromodulation, Pelvic pain, shoulder pain, peripheral neuropathies and pain management programme. 2.Anaesthetics- Ultrasound guided regional anaesthesia as sole anaesthetic technique or for acute pain management after surgery. Special interest in blocks for breast, upper limb and lower limb surgeries. 3. Medical education and research.
Dr Athmaja R Thottungal will be speaking at the RA-UK 2021 ASM!